»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 
Running Forum - talk about exercise and workouts / Let's hear it / Racing / Running first Marathon in Oct 2008 what pace?
Posted:  30 Sep 2008 20:25
Never run a marathon before, running the Oct. 12 2008 marathon in Victoria BC.  I am 6 feet, 172 pounds, 50 year old male.  Have been always active, but just took up running 1.5 years ago.  Ran a 1/2 marathon in April 2008 at 5:15 pace, can run a 45 min 10k, my training has gone well for past 20 weeks, but my long runs 28-32k are at 6:20 pace, what should my marathon pace be?  I know racing and training are very different.  I am competative and hope to finsh under 4 hours but am worried that at a pace of 5:50 it may be too fast.  Should I worry?  Bob
Posted:  13 Oct 2008 10:48
Hi, to anyone that is reading this, I am going to answer my own question based on my actual results at the Royal Victoria Marathon.  My actual race pace was 6:04, my chip time was 4 hours, 16 minutes and 12 seconds.  I had a cold just prior to the race and did not get much sleep the 4 nights prior, but I don't think any of that really affected my time.   What really did, was the first bathroom break at 3km, Yes you read correctly, 3KM!!  the potta potties did not have much of a line up but I swear it took about 7 minutes.  I still was able to run the first 5 k in 31 min despite this and the crowds.  I am not bummed for finishing over the 4 hours, now I have a reason to run another marathon.
Posted:  13 Oct 2008 20:00
Hey, that is pretty good! Congrats!

Now, rest up and come back strong next year and do a faster one!